The Strength Program offers a range of programming (residential and day treatment) and supports for youth 15-24 years of age who require more intensive support for substance misuse and mental health issues.
The program is offered for 16 weeks and includes:
- one-on-one and group treatment
- family and parental support
- life skills development
- educational curriculum
- recreational activities and
- substance use, addiction and problem gambling support.
Throughout the program, participants will learn and develop skills in the following areas:
- relapse prevention;
- self esteem;
- making healthy choices;
- developing trust in others and yourself;
- goal setting;
- healthy relationships;
- managing cravings; and
- coping with anger, depression and other emotions.
After completing the program, follow-up aftercare is provided for up to 24 weeks, along with family support for as long as needed.
The Strength program is located within a dedicated area of the Youth Recovery Centre in Summerside. The program site includes:
- twelve residential beds with 24/7 care
- classrooms for programming
- common space with entertainment amenities
- office space for staff and
- access to a shared gymnasium
There is no registration cost or fee.
You must be between the age of 15 and 24 years and referred by one of the following:
- Canadian Mental health Association staff
- Health PEI addiction counsellors
- Inpatient and outpatient withdrawal management registered nurse
- ER crisis response team
- Student well-being team
- Community social worker
- PEI Department of Justice and Public Safety staff
Care providers can submit referrals by:
- Completing the Strength Program Referral form.
- Providing the client with a copy of the Strength Handbook and reviewing the daily schedule (p. 5) and the handbook highlights (p. 12).
- Asking their patient/client to complete the Strength Pre-Assessment Questionnaire and the Treatment Entry Questionnaire.
- Faxing both to 902-432-2619. Please do not email.